Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

It's The "How" That Matters

Growing up, I learned that it’s not so much “what” you say, but “how” you say it that matters.

One of the blessings that I’ve enjoyed observing during this Corona Craziness is that we are all finding new ways to make people feel special.  One of my Rona Revelations is that I see people changing the “how” in the way they express their love and I’m loving it!

Sometime in March, it seems we made a transition from Daylight Savings Time to The Twilight Zone.  I can even hear that eerie music in my head.  You’re humming it now, too, aren’t you?  It’s like doo-doo-doo-doo...doo-doo-doo-doo. 

Anyway, during this time, one of the days we’ve been figuring out “how” to celebrate differently are birthdays.  Just last week, we participated in a drive-by birthday parade to bring joy to a couple of friends on their special day.  So many friends and family members took part in this cool new way to celebrate.  They drove by with balloons, posters, noise makers, and music.  It was an awesome sight to see!

Another birthday project that we’ve joined in is the making of Happy Birthday videos.  My girls have shown me the ins and outs of all the Snapchat filters.  I love a good laugh, so I particularly enjoy the ones that alter your face and voice.  Wow…we’ve had some fun with that!  Try it.  Today’s Sips picture is one of my favorite filters so far.

Laughter has helped my family trudge through this Corona Mire.  My ten-year-old came up to me with a Knock-Knock joke.

Her:  Knock, Knock.
Me:  Who’s there?
Her:  Smell Mop.
Me:  Smell Mop Who?

Go ahead and say that last line again.  Yes…Smell my poo!  Oh mercy!  For some reason, I just lost it.  I was laughing so hard that I almost had to just sit down on the floor.  My make-up was mixed with tears and smeared all over my face.  I looked like I had had a rough, rough night on the town.

When she told me this joke, I happened to be in the process of getting my brownie ingredients together in the kitchen.  Coincidence?  I think not.  After putting the last scoop of brownie batter into the pan…I had some left on my finger.  Do you know where this is going?  Oh, please don’t judge.  My Corona-Crazy has to come out sometime.

I hid my hands behind my back and went to my daughter’s room.  I asked her to tell me the same Knock-Knock joke just once more.  When I said the last line, I couldn’t help but show her the brownie batter on my finger.  Yep!  I did.  She screamed, “Mommmm!  Moooommmmmm!  Ewwww!  That’s so gross!  Seriously?!”

I’m thinking that there’s a certain level of cuckoo happening in every household as we all try to hold down the fort and keep it together.  One minute, I’m thinking that cleaning the dust from the baseboards and fan blades with a Q-tip might be a good idea.  In the next moment, I think that eating an entire box of Lucky Charms cereal while staring at a lizard on the kitchen window sounds like more fun.  I choose not to clean the baseboards because if I stir up 20-year-old dust, I will be sneezing and coughing…and THAT, my friends, would be the end.  We cannot cough right now.  Don’t even.  Don’t.  So, I always opt for eating the cereal.  The positive side to that is that I consume like 500% of my vitamins and minerals for the day.  It’s a win!  Ha ha!

Another topic that comes to mind with “how” we say things is that we’re expressing ourselves with lots of texting, Facebooking, emailing, and typing these days.  Lots and lots.  So, we might want to be mindful of our punctuation.  Yes, it matters.  It’s “how” you write it.  If you need some laughs like I do, here are a few punctuation oopsies:

I’m sorry.  I love you.
I’m sorry I love you.

She finds inspiration in cooking, her family, and her dog.
She finds inspiration in cooking her family and her dog.

Drink.  Pee.  Repeat.
Drink pee.  Repeat.

A woman:  Without her, man is nothing.
A woman without her man is nothing.

Twenty five-dollar bills ($100)
Twenty-five dollar bills ($25)

I’m giving up drinking for a month.
I’m giving up.  Drinking for a month!

Here’s another cute one.  I saw this on a Mexican Restaurant sign and I can relate.  It said, “Sorry, we are closed due to short staff.”  A desperate Mexican-food-lover wrote in response, “Well, please hire taller staff because I need a taco!”  Ha ha!

Most folks these days are wearing masks or bandanas or Buzz Lightyear headgear when they go out in public.  We are covering our noses and mouths for safety.  However, one important facial feature can still be seen.  Our eyes.  I know countless people are in the trenches caring for others day in and day out.  Right above those masks they’re wearing, we see their eyes.  We also see “how” their eyes talk and that matters.  Our eyes can show great love, even without words.  Our eyes can show other emotions too, even without speaking.

As we continue to go about our days, let’s continue to remember that it’s the “how” that matters.  We’re six feet apart, but there’s still love in our heart.  I’m sure that God is smiling at all of the new ways we’ve found to make people feel special.  I’m certain that He’s happy about the creativity we’re using to change the “how” in the way that we love and celebrate others.

Hang in there, Sunshines!  Pray, laugh, and love…that’s “how” we’ll make it through this!

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment