Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Chalk and Tacos for Easter

Photo Credit:  The Kallus Gals
Sunshines, I hope you all had a Happy Easter!  I’m thinking this one was unlike any of the Easters you’ve experienced and celebrated before.  It was for us.  Like you, we were just at home, quarantined with our “peeps.”  Where should we celebrate?  Hmmm…the living room, kitchen, or hallway?  It was a “QuarantEaster.”

Last week, I was so impressed and inspired by all of the chalk mosaics I saw on Facebook.  Honestly, it’s been a few years since we’ve had sidewalk chalk in our house.  So, on Friday, I made a run to town for chalk, tape, and…toilet paper.  Seriously.  We had two rolls left.  No hoarding over here!  I promise.

My son was fishing for our supper on Friday, literally.  He was in his kayak trying to catch some fish for Friday’s meal.  Otherwise, he could have been chalking it up with us!  My girls and I embraced the chalk art idea and got busy.  We taped and then we colored and colored and colored our little hearts out, while inching around on our chalky knees.

The finished product was absolutely beautiful!  We were full of smiles, joy, and chalk dust.  I took some pictures and shared it with a few friends.  One of them asked me how long the colors would last.  Hmmmm…honestly, chalk probably won’t last too long with the wind and a little rain.  In no time, the chalk mosaic would only be a memory.  But...an amazing memory it would be!

Easter Sunday arrived and it was different.  It was full of memories, but definitely different.  We started the day off with an Easter Egg scavenger hunt with rhyming clues.  I love that part!  Awesome Aunt Kerri had also secretly hid some extra eggs outside, during the night, for a bonus hunt.  Her eggs had money, little papers with jokes written on them, or candy.  My ten-year-old daughter was initially a grumpy bunny when most of her eggs were light in weight.  She was sure that she only got the jokes in her eggs.  Much to her surprise, paper money doesn’t weigh much either.  She was the lucky one who walked away with the riches this hunt!  What a fun memory.  How quickly that frown turned upside down!

A couple of the little jokes are too cute not to share:  “What is the soft tissue between a shark’s teeth called?  A slow swimmer.”  Ha ha!  “A dentist tells his patient that she needs a crown and she replies, ‘Finally, someone understands me!’”  Hee hee! 

After the Egg Hunts, we were blessed to watch Easter Mass together on Facebook.  Then, I asked the kids what delicious Easter meal they thought we could enjoy.  Ham?  Tamales?  Potatoes?  Roasted Chicken?  Nope.  Guess again.

My children unanimously picked…wait for it…Taco Bell.  Yes sir!  That doesn’t really surprise me at all since I ate my weight in Taco Bell and Mexican food during each of their pregnancies.  It was a Taco Bell QuarantEaster!  No cooking?  No clean-up?  Okay!  I’m in!  We drove to town, picked up our $65.00 order and came home to savor it.  With a $65.00 order at Taco Bell, I think we made their day a little brighter.  That’s a whole lotta tacos, ya’ll!  I think they closed for the day after we left.  Ha ha!  What a memory!

After eating all the Taco Bell, I took a long walk…I mean waddle.  While walking, I thought about the chalk mosaic and how it probably wouldn’t last long on the concrete.  I wish we could enjoy it just a bit longer.

During our normal pre-quarantine days, we all moved pretty quickly, didn’t we?  We made memories, yes, but in a fairly fast-paced motion.  Maybe this slow-motion time we have now will allow us the opportunity to really soak in the memories we’re making.  Maybe.  Just maybe.

This Corona Craziness seems to be lasting FOREVER!  Seriously.  However, I think there’s a great chance that no one living during this time will ever forget how they felt, the memories they made, the struggles they had, what they missed, who they missed, and the Easter of 2020 they had without their extended families.  Over here, we missed our Mimi, Pops, Nanny, PoPo, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephew, and cousins!  A lot!  A whole lot!

It will be the Easter where we had the theme… “Come as you are and worship from afar.” Some families watched their church services on Facebook in their pajamas.  Other families got all dressed up in their Sunday best to watch it online.  Some families had their traditional Easter dinner on a beautifully decorated table.  Other families had Taco Bell on paper plates.  Some families dyed Easter eggs and had Easter hunts.  Other families didn’t have much time together because they had to work on Easter Sunday.  We’re all handling this Rona Time in our own way and that’s okay.  We’re going to be okay.  I keep reminding myself.

It is the Easter where we could be superheroes just by staying home.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that we’d play a part in saving others by sitting at home.  Are you kidding me?!  I never read a book like that in my life!  This is not an ordinary superhero story.

Sometimes, I wonder where God is.  Hello?  God?  Are you there?  I got an extra taco for you!  Maybe even two!  Hello?  But, then, I remember that the teacher is always quiet during a test.  Okay, Lord.  I’ll be patient.  While I wait, I’ll try to be thankful and I’ll say Alleluia, for our Lord has still risen!  Thank you for the QuarantEaster and the time to really soak in the memories. 

I will always remember the Easter of 2020 for chalk and tacos.  The tacos were delish, but they are long gone.  And, the colors in our chalk mosaic won’t last long either.  But, the memories we made will last. 

Make some memories, Sunshines!  One day FAR, FAR, FAR down the road, we might even say, “I wish we could have enjoyed that time just a bit longer.”  Maybe.  Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment