Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Voice

Photo Credit:  dave from morgueFile.com
Isn’t it strange how someone’s voice can provoke all kinds of feelings within us?  From the moment they start talking, their voice can give us strength, courage, hope, and the comfort of knowing that we are dearly loved.  Then, there are those voices that sometimes make us cringe, but let’s not discuss that now.

I’ve heard many stories about loved ones who have died.  The family members that they’ve left behind have never erased an answering machine message or a voice mail left by the departed loved one.  Voice.  It’s an amazingly powerful thing really.

I’m all about texting these days, believe me.  It’s been a great thing, but there is something magical about a real, live voice on the other end of that phone line.  It’s difficult to truly “hear” what someone is saying through a text, isn’t it?

A voice can be one of encouragement.  Here is a precious little story from Mikey:

“While walking in the park one day, I was taking in the beautiful lake, blooming flowers, and just enjoying the oversized path where people could walk, jog, run their dogs, or ride their bikes.”

“As I was coming down a hill, I saw an older woman coming toward me, pushing a stroller with two toddlers in it.  ‘We’re coming to a hill,’ the presumable grandmother said to the children, ‘so you’ll have to help me — are you ready?’”

“I wondered how those little toddlers would be of any assistance, but as I passed them, I heard them earnestly repeating: ‘I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...’”

The voice of encouragement.  We all need it sometime.

The voices of my children bring me much joy on a daily basis.  The other day, their voices brought me a big chuckle as well.  My girls had been chasing each other all over the house.  They would run and hide and then scare each other with a loud, “Boo!”  This went on for what seemed like forever.  I was preparing supper and finally asked them to stop.  It was getting to be a bit much.  I hollered, “That’s it!  No more chasing and scaring each other!”

They stopped for all of five seconds and then continued.  The noise escalated.  Then, my 6-year-old ran into the kitchen with her 9-year-old sister chasing after her.  My youngest daughter exclaimed, “MOM!!!  MOM!!!  I thought you said no more boo’s!”  Of course, it sounded like “booze” and they just could not figure out why I was laughing so hard.  Good times in the Kallus household.

The voice of laughter.  We all need it sometime.

My cousin recently gave it her best shot at getting on the show, “The Voice.”  After hours and hours of waiting in a Houston line and 5,000 singers later, she unfortunately didn’t make the cut.  However, what impressed me the most was that she said the experience only made her want to try all the more to get better and better and give it another go next year.

The voice of determination.  We all need it sometime.

It’s hard to believe, but Lent is here already!   Many of us will give up something or do something extra during this season before Easter.  If we listen closely to the voice inside of us (aka the Holy Spirit), we will be able to hear what special thing that God is calling us to do this Lent.  Let’s take some time to reflect upon the many ways that we can make this a memorable and fruitful Lenten season for ourselves and others.

The voice of inspiration.  We all need it sometime.

I’m kinda giddy about this, so I wanted to share with you that I just celebrated the fact that I have written 200 blog posts.  Yes!  This one you are reading right now is Sips # 201 and I couldn’t be more excited!  It’s hard to believe that I’ve written about 200,000 words on my blog thus far.  I couldn’t imagine writing that many words at once, but week by week, by golly...I’ve done it!

The voice of endurance.  We all need it sometime.

I know I’ve talked about my upcoming children’s book on many occasions now, but I just received the illustrations and they are simply beautiful!  I am one step closer, peeps.  I don’t have a guesstimate on the date of publication yet, but I am practicing patience in the meantime.

The voice of “oh-my-gosh-I-cannot-believe-that-I’ll-be-a-published-author-soon.”  Woo-hoo!  I LOVE the sound of that voice!

This week, let’s listen to each other’s voice.  Let’s listen to our own…the gentle voice nudging us within.  God can certainly speak loudly, but sometimes He’s found in a whisper, so we have to listen closely.

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!

No comments:

Post a Comment