Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

It's Never Too Late

Photo Credit:  Prawny from morgueFile.com
Any procrastinators out there?  Most of us procrastinate about this or that.  You know, we have great intentions to do something and then time passes, life happens, and more time passes.  I’ll share just one example today and it falls into the “thank you” category. 

Here’s the scenario:  Someone does something thoughtful for you.  You really want to thank them and let them know how appreciative you are.  So, you actually remember to purchase a thank you card when you’re at the grocery store a week or two later.  That card even makes it home without getting bent and creased in the plastic bag.  You put the card in a super special secret safe spot.  Another month or two passes by.  You see your thoughtful friend again and you remember about that card you bought back when.  You suddenly have amnesia and can’t remember where your super special secret safe spot is.

More time passes.  You feel that it’s now WAY too late to send that card…wherever it is!  Well, I’m here to let you off the hook today.  Send it.  Yes, send it.  If you can’t find it, grab another one and send it.  If it’s one week, six months, or three years late…send it anyway.  In my opinion, it’s never too late for a thank you.  They’ll be just as surprised to get your card as you were when you actually found your super special secret safe spot.

Since we’re in the “it’s-never-too-late” mode, I thought it would be absolutely fine to send a Mother’s Day funny from Mikey:

THE NEXT SURVIVOR TV SERIES:  Six married men will be dropped off on an island with one car and four kids each, for six weeks.  Each kid plays two sports and either takes music or dance classes.  There is no access to fast food.

Each man must take care of his four kids, keep his assigned house clean, correct all homework, complete science projects, cook, do laundry, etc.  The men only have access to television when the kids are asleep and all chores are done.  There is only one TV between them and there is no remote.

The men must shave their legs and wear makeup daily, which they must apply themselves, either while driving or while making four lunches.  They must attend weekly PTA meetings; clean up after their sick children at 3:00 a.m.; make an Indian hut model with six toothpicks, a tortilla and one marker; and get a 4-year-old to eat a serving of peas.

The kids will then vote them off the island, based on their performance.  The last man wins only if he has enough energy to be intimate with his spouse at a moment's notice.

If the last man does win, he can play the game over and over again for the next 18-25 years...eventually earning the right to be called "Mother."

I thought the mommas out there might appreciate this post-Mother’s-Day-humor.  Not to worry…dads, we love you, too!  We are thankful for all you do, but June is your month to shine.  You’ll have to wait.  Hee hee!

My children made my Mother’s Day very special with all of their handmade items and cards and beautiful words of love.  The one thing I appreciated most was a handwritten note from my 9-year-old daughter that read:  “You have also won a free ticket of us kids being nice!  Congrats!  Love, The Kids” 

I’m so proud to say that for the great majority of the day, they 100% honored the ticket.  However, there was one point when my son and younger daughter were arguing.  I reminded them of the nice little ticket.  My son was quick to jokingly say, “Actually, we didn’t ALL sign that ticket…only the one who wrote it.”  I think the look on my face prompted him to say, “Just kidding, Mom, we’ll try.”

Finally, I want to share a pro-life poem that I wrote for mothers back in 2012.  It’s never too late to say a prayer of thanksgiving for moms and the precious gift of life.

A BABY BOOK
As I slowly turn the pages of my baby book,
I feel a tear slide down my cheek – I take a closer look.
I see a mommy full of love, a daddy…so, so proud,
An echo of my baby heartbeat – strong and very loud.

I close my eyes just to feel their tender warm embrace,
As they gently trace the tiny features of my baby face.
I read about my “firsts” – first food, first step, first smile,
I see a clipping of my hair and pause for just awhile.

Recalling many memories, birthday parties and the fun,
I almost feel the warmth of my own childhood sun.
And neatly tucked there in the book…a Mother’s Day note,
One that I remember just exactly what I wrote:

I love you Mom, I love you Mom, so very, very much,
I love you more than rainbows, purple unicorns and such.
I thank you for listening to all I have to say,
For caring for and loving me every single day.
Thank you for the life that you gave to me,
For shaping me, for making me, allowing me to be.
So, on this Mother’s Day, and all the other days, too,
I’m oh so very thankful God has chosen me for you!

I put the note back in the book and close my misty eyes,
The tears are there because I think of every child that dies.
The tiny little innocents who never have the chance,
To breathe, to live, to dream, to walk, or even just to dance.

I say a little prayer for all the moms in need,
When in that moment in the dark, they let the good Lord lead.
I pray that moms will all choose life - their angel deep inside,
That when in doubt, they will look up, to find their Holy Guide.

I sit in silence breathing in the air - the life around me,
From “rock-a-bye” to rocking chairs – the gift of life is key.
My heart is aching for a life today some mommy took,
I won’t cease prayer ‘til every unborn has a baby book.

Still staring at that thank you card you bought last year?  Send it.  It’s never too late!

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!

No comments:

Post a Comment