Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Knock-Knock

Photo Credit:  mconnors from morgueFile.com
Over the weekend, my seven-year-old daughter came up to me with a knock-knock-joke.  I thought it was going to be like every other knock-knock-joke, but it wasn’t.  This one was different and it went like this:

Daughter:  Mom, will you remember me in a second?
Me:  Yes.
Daughter:  Will you remember me in a minute?
Me:  Yes.
Daughter:  Will you remember me in a day?
Me:  Yes (wondering where all of this is going…)
Daughter:  Will you remember me in a month?
Me:  Yes, of course.
Daughter:  Will you remember me in a year?
Me:  Absolutely, I will!
Daughter:  Knock, knock!
Me:  Who’s there?
Daughter:  Hey!  It’s ME!  You said you would remember me!
Me:  (tickling her just to hear her sweet laughter)  YOU!  You got me!  All jokes aside, you know I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER forget you!
Daughter:  I know, Mom.  (smiles, giggles, and runs off to play)

One of the readings at Mass over the weekend just so happened to be about Jesus never forgetting us.  It was from Isaiah and it’s one of my favorites.  I just love the simple song that Carey Landry wrote, inspired by Isaiah 49:14-15.

“I will never forget you, My people.
I have carved you on the palm of My hand.
I will never forget you.
I will not leave you orphaned.
I will never forget My own.
Does a mother forget her baby?
Or a woman, the child within her womb?
Yet even if these forget,
Yes, even if these forget,
I will never forget my own.”

Isn’t it such a great feeling when someone remembers you?  That somehow, in some way, you made a difference in their life or day and they remember you.  I love it! 

In fact, just last week, I received the sweetest little note from Ms. Wilson, the librarian at St. Philip’s in El Campo.  St. Philip’s is the very first school author visit I did back in November and I will never forget it.  Her precious note indicates that she won’t forget it either.  I’d like to share her words with you today:

“Hello!  I hope your new year has been outstanding so far!  I just wanted to thank you again for coming and reading to our students!  Also, I wanted to say thanks for your donation to our school.  I used the funds to purchase a book called, “A Woman in the House (and Senate): How Women Came to the United States Congress, Broke Down Barriers, and Changed the Country.”  My thoughts were that it’s a book about women doing important things, and you (as a female author) are doing important, special things, too!  Thanks again so much, and let me know when your next book comes out!”

Yes, this absolutely made my day!  She remembered me and she let me know.

Do we let others know how special they are to us?  Do we assure them that we’ll never forget them?  Are we blessed to have one or two or twenty special people in our lives that we will always remember?  Then, let’s tell them.  Let’s show them.

I’m often reminded of how short life is.  There isn’t an unlimited amount of time to spend with those we love so dearly.  There have been too many sudden deaths lately that I’ve heard about.  It makes my heart ache for the loved ones left behind. 

There was one death recently of a man that I never actually met.  But, I couldn’t help but notice the endless outpouring of loving facebook posts about him.  His visitation even had to be held at our local community center!  Wow!  That in itself speaks volumes. 

His name was Bobby Nicholson Sr. (aka Coach Nic) I read soooo many beautiful tributes about him that it’s impossible to share them all here.  However, what I took home was the fact that his life genuinely touched thousands of people.  He coached.  He mentored.  He inspired.  He educated.  He influenced.  He cared.  He led.  He loved.

Apparently, he also gave the very best motivational speeches ever!  It sounds like he was an absolutely AMAZING man who left an unbelievable legacy of Cobra pride and helped shape and impact countless lives along the way.  I hear he had a great sense of humor and gave equally as great hugs.  I pray for all those who miss him deeply.

In the words of Isaiah…so many will obviously never ever forget you, Coach!

In the midst of sadness, I look for comfort.  I find some peace in the fact that when this incredible gentleman and others who have left this earth approach the Heavenly Gates, Jesus will be waiting on the other side. 

When they say, “Knock-knock!”…Jesus won’t say, “Who’s there?”  Instead, He’ll say, “Of course I remember you!  I could never forget you!  Come on in!”

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!  No Sips for 2 weeks, but I’ll be back soon!  Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment