Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Today Is The Day

I was blessed to have another wonderful book signing at Cotton Belles Boutique & Co. over the weekend in Victoria.  I was warmly welcomed by Ashley, Christine, Jill, and Michele and had the opportunity to meet new friends of all ages.  My goddaughter, Sydney, even surprised me with a visit and that truly warmed my heart.  I thank God that she remains cancer-free today!  It was extra cool that she brought along her mom, cousins, and brothers, one of which is named GABRIEL!  Yep.  Awesomeness!

It was interesting that two of my visitors this weekend told me they always wanted to write a book.  One of them started out with a poem about bees and the poem got longer and longer.  He said he just couldn’t come up with a good ending, so he put his work aside six years ago.

The other woman smiled as she told me about being a retired teacher.  She would pass by a publishing company on her way to work each day and wanted so badly to write the book that she had composed in her head.

I encouraged them both to just do it!  Chase the dream and grab on to it tightly.  Feel the fear and do it anyway!  Today is the day!  I hope that they both were inspired to write their books soon because I am anxious to read their stories.

Each of us has a talent or two or twenty.  Seek it out.  Find it.  Embrace it.  Do you write, sing, dance, act, cook, craft, draw, build, or sew?  Are you athletic?  Are you into fashion, gardening, swimming, animals, art, musical instruments, or computers?  Are you an amazing listener or inspirer?  Does your smile or laugh light up a room?  Is your happiness contagious?  Are you incredibly generous?  There are countless gifts and talents among us.  Find yours.  Share it.  Today is the day!

During this holiday season, gift buying is on our minds and to-do lists.  I saw this merchandise “guarantee” the other day that made me giggle, so I had to share:
“We want everyone to be happy.  Our guarantee applies to typically pleasant individuals.  If you are a major grouch who doesn't smile at a puppy or a rainbow, then even WE can't help you!”

Let’s try to be kind this Christmas season.  It won’t always be easy, but as we rush around, let’s make a brave attempt at patience, love, and forgiveness.  One way to show our gratitude and affection for someone is certainly to buy them a gift.  However, I remember a poem that I wrote in 2013 that reminds me to keep things in perspective.  Sometimes I forget that I can’t buy Christmas.

CAN’T BUY CHRISTMAS
Christmas is something we just can’t buy,
Although at times, it seems we try.
We rush around with shoppers galore,
Buying more gifts than ever before.
We fret about cards and wrapping and such,
Causing our stress to be a bit much.
We push and shove for sales and deals,
Sometimes forgetting how anyone feels.
We hurry.  We worry.  Lose sight of the reason,
The heart and soul of this holiday season.
Because the mightiest, glorious gift of them all,
Came surprisingly helpless and ever so small.
Could our Lord Jesus Christ be so humble enough,
To be born in a stable – modest and rough?
Could His mother, so tired, dusty, and worn,
Find comfort in where her Son would be born?
A manger, a trough where animals fed,
Would this be the place to lay His sweet head?
What were her thoughts – this makeshift room?
Did she want to clean up with a mop and a broom?
Or did trusting it all would be okay,
Suppress her fears about that day?
This plain wooden trough, so lowly and trite,
Yet, so very grand – it was just right.
God transforms with a simple touch,
Our lives, a manger, and things that we clutch.
A manger’s a symbol of nothing less,
Than the glory of God.  Our lives He will bless.
We mustn’t lose sight of the reason we give,
Lest we forget He’s the reason we live.
Let’s hold Him close – the baby boy,
With swaddling blankets of love, hope, and joy.
Let’s soften His manger – forgive and be kind.
Let’s pray for all mothers – they surely won’t mind.
Let’s warm the Lord’s room, all covered in dust,
By spreading His peace.  It’s surely a must.
No money could buy this gift of love,
The birthday of Jesus is sent from above.
Without Him on Christmas, it all seems for naught.
We can’t buy Christmas.  It just can’t be bought.

I’m very excited to say that I’ll be heading up the road to St. Philip’s school in El Campo on Wednesday for an author visit.  I truly love sharing Gabriel’s Golden Key with children!  I’ll also be doing some book signings this weekend in Victoria.  Please stop by the Holidazzle Brunch & Bazaar on Saturday, Dec. 3rd at Faith Family from 10am-1pm.  You’ll also find me signing books after each of the Masses at Holy Family Catholic Church on Saturday, Dec. 3rd and Sunday, Dec. 4th.  I’ll have plenty of my books, golden pens, and golden keys ready for the kiddos!  Hope to see you there!

Embrace your dream…whatever it is!  TODAY is the day!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  I’ll be back for more Sips in January!

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!  Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment