Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Thanks For Noticing

Photo Credit:  knaughton from morgueFile.com
Doesn’t it feel good when someone notices?  You know, that new haircut, pair of shoes, dress, or purse, or that you lost a bit of weight?  Or that you put in the sweat hours to tone up that under-arm-dingle-dangle that used to keep swinging long after you stopped waving to that friend of yours?  Whether we voice it or not, it lifts our spirits and brightens our day when someone notices something about us.  It does.

There seems to be an extra skip in a child’s step when we notice how hard they are working in school or how they’ve made extra efforts to get along with their siblings.  Their lights truly shine when we take notice and tell them.

Sometimes, it’s easier to notice things about our close friends and family.  How about someone we don’t know at all?  I took the opportunity last weekend during my book-signing-trip to College Station to “notice” a couple of complete strangers.  Here’s the scoop:

Stranger #1:  My mom, daughter, and I stopped at Dairy Queen late Friday evening during our cold, rainy drive to Aggieland.  After we ate our meal, my daughter and I were eyeing the Blizzard selections while our taste buds were getting primed.  We just wanted a tiny bit of something sweet before we hit the road again, so we decided to split a mini Blizzard.  However, the tough part came when we were supposed to agree upon what flavor to share.  I wasn’t budging and neither was my daughter.  I wanted chocolate chip cookie dough and she wanted M&M.

I had noticed the woman working the cash register when we first arrived.  She appeared very tired and wasn’t smiling.  She was helpful as we purchased our food, but I felt in my heart that she sure could use a laugh. 

So, my daughter and I approached the counter to order “our” Blizzard.  With a grin on my face, I explained to Susan the flavor dilemma that my daughter and I were having.  Then, I proceeded to keep smirking while I winked at the cashier and informed my daughter that I was so sorry to share that they were completely out of M&M’s.  I told my daughter that she would just have to sacrifice for Momma this time and settle on the cookie dough.

Then, I got a huge smile out of Susan, the cashier.  Why?  Well, because the joke was on me.  Guess what?  They weren’t out of M&M’s at all.  HOWEVER, they WERE out of cookie dough because of a recall!  WHAT?!  Oh, I started laughing so hard and so did my daughter, Susan, and the rest of the customers who were eavesdropping on this little conversation.

Much to the happiness and delightful enjoyment of my daughter, we shared a M&M Blizzard that night.  It was so memorable!  Why?  Because we made a complete stranger smile a much needed smile and laugh a much needed laugh.  It was priceless.  She thanked us for making her day!

Stranger #2:  We arrived at the hotel for a late check-in.  The poor young man working there was staring at his computer screen while talking on the phone that was ringing off the wall.  He barely looked up as I gave him my credit card and driver’s license.  I noticed how weary he was and I also noticed his name tag.

After punching in some information on his computer, he politely gave us our room keys.  I said, “Thank you so much, David.  It’s been a busy evening, huh?”

And, there it was!  A smile.  He flashed the smile that I was looking for.  He smiled at me and then proceeded to tell me a little bit about his crazy shift.  Basically, he was saying “thanks for noticing.”  It made my day and I’m pretty sure that it made his too.

During this month of November, many of us are feeling thankfulness and gratitude about the blessings in our life.  One of the many things I thank God for is the gift of laughter.  Here’s an adorable giggle that Brigette shared with me over the weekend while hanging out at her awesome store, The Gift Box, in College Station.

She said that a friend of hers had just purchased a mini-van.  However, her four-year-old son was not okay with the new ride.  He said, “I am absolutely NOT going to call our car a mini-van because it sounds waaaay too girly.”  So, in perfect Disney-fashion, he said, “Instead of a MINNIE Van, we’re going to call it a MICKEY Van!”  How cute is that?!

Anyway, I am also thankful for all of the love and support I’ve received from my family and friends as I share my new children’s book with the world!  Woo-hoo!  So many sweet and generous ladies have warmly welcomed me into their stores to sign Gabriel’s Golden Key and I can’t thank you enough – Angels & Outlaws, The Market of Victoria, and The Gift Box!

I’m excited to say that I’ll be back in Victoria this Saturday, November 26th from 10-5pm at Cotton Belles Boutique & Co. for a book signing!  There will be lots of goodies to munch on and beverages to drink while getting some Christmas shopping done in this beautifully charming and unique boutique!  Thank you so much, Ashley, for having me.  I’m ready with my golden pens and golden keys for the kiddos!

I can’t help but think about the importance of prayer during this time of year.  As we remember and take note of the special people that God has placed in our lives, we can also think about the roof over our head, the clothes on our back, and the food on our plate.  Amidst the hustle and bustle, let’s stop and say a prayer of thanksgiving for all we have.  A grateful heart is a joyful heart. 

I’m quite certain that as we pray in gratitude for the countless blessings in our lives, God is smiling while saying, “Thanks for noticing.”

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!  Bye for now!
Making new friends at book signings is always fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment