Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Happy M-Day

I thought it was interesting how my son decorated a cake for me over the weekend.  He wrote “Happy M-Day.”  He basically just used the dash to stand for the word “others” in the rest of the phrase Happy Mother’s Day.  It might not sound that fascinating at first glance, but I guess I find it remarkable because for 364 days of the year, we, as moms ARE certainly doing for “others.”  However, on M-Day, we take the time to celebrate the “M”…meaning “me/mom.”  I like that.

At Mass, Father Bentil encouraged the husbands, fathers, and children to make Mother’s Day very special for the moms in the congregation.  He challenged them to go out of their way to prepare a delicious meal for the mom in their lives or at the very least, let her choose her favorite (most expensive) restaurant.  I think my hubby and kids were listening and I’m so delighted!  Why?  Because I was the lucky recipient of a tasty breakfast in bed!

My husband gave me a little hint that the kids were planning this breakfast, so I was “forced” to sleep late on Sunday as they worked hard in the kitchen.  Ha ha!  Did I say forced?  I lovingly consented, peeps, I assure you.  You don’t have to ask me twice to get some extra shut-eye.

It brought my heart much joy when the kiddos came in singing “Happy Mother’s Day to you” to the catchy tune of Happy Birthday.  They made eggs, bacon, strawberries with whip cream, apples, oranges, and a tall glass of milk.  They arrived bearing greeting cards, gift cards, and homemade goodies, all stuffed in a tall Christmas bag with at least 100 sheets of tissue paper.  It was perfect!  For that precious moment, I forgot all about how my kids incessantly pick on each other and relentlessly poke each other’s eyeballs out each and every afternoon.  Seriously, folks.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the fun actually started on Friday at my children’s school.  That special day included countless Mother’s Day songs, a Kinder breakfast, as well as a Mommy Day Spa with my second grader.  Yes!  My 8-year-old daughter pampered me in her transformed classroom with a massage, aromatherapy, and a manicure.  There was a potion of several lotions involved and at one point; I had slices of cucumbers IN…uhem, ON my eyes.  My nails were glittery red with some princess crown stickers and I can’t say for sure if there was more polish on my nails or my fingers.  But, I digress.  I applaud the teachers for encouraging such loving attention for the mommas.  It was truly wonderful!

On Friday, my 5-year-old daughter handed me a little Mother’s Day paper that she colored as well.  She filled in all the blank lines so neatly and this is what she wrote, “BEST MOM EVER!  Her name is Hether.  She has black hair and brown eyes.  Her favorite thing is to bake.  She is special because she is sweet.  I would like to buy her a card.  Our favorite thing to do together is smile.”  (That last sentence really made me giggle.  Out of all the things we do together, her favorite thing is to sit there and smile with me!  I LOVE it!)

She also had to go through a list of words and draw a check by them as they applied to me.   She checked off:  pretty, sweet, funny, caring, smart, creative, strong, silly, cuddly, brave, helpful, clever, fancy, polite, and jolly.  (Wow!  I’m humbled!)  Basically, she checked off every single word on the list…except cool.  She obviously thinks that I’m a lot of nifty things, but I’m NOT cool.  BUT…I’m cool with that!  You can’t be everything, right, moms?!  hee hee!

Actually, I have to share something here.  When my 8-year-old daughter was in Pre-K, she had to fill out a similar paper for me.  One of the questions was, “What does your mom do that is funny?”  She wrote, “Nothing.  My mom’s not funny.”  SOOOO….I’ve come a long way, people.  I now have a check by “funny,” so I’m not quite as upset about the “cool” thing.  The important point is that I’m makin’ progress!  Baby steps, baby steps.

Since my Kinder kiddo thinks I’m funny, here’s a mommy chuckle for you from my friend at Mikey’s Funnies:

One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out, in contrast on her brunette head.

She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked, "Mommy, why are some of your hairs white?"

Her mother replied, "Well, every time you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white."

The little girl was silent for a while, and then said, "Poor Grandma. You must have been very, very hard to raise."

Mikey also sent this beautiful piece that I found very touching as I reflect on motherhood:

“Your Mother is always with you.  She's the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street.  She's the smell of certain foods you remember, flowers you pick, and the perfume that she wore.  She's the cool hand on your brow when you're not feeling well.  She's your breath in the air on a cold winter's day.  She is the sound of the rain that lulls you to sleep…the colors of a rainbow.  She is Christmas morning.  Your Mother lives inside your laughter.  She's crystallized in every teardrop.  A mother shows every emotion...happiness, sadness, fear, jealousy, love, hate, anger, helplessness, excitement, joy, sorrow...and all the while, hoping and praying you will only know the good feelings in life.  She's the place you came from, your first home, and she's the map you follow with every step you take.  She's your first love; your first friend, even your first enemy, but nothing on earth can separate you…not time, not space...not even death!”

(Sniff, sniff)

When I think about all of the many beautiful moments of the weekend, I am reminded about the “M” in Happy M-Day.  With all my imperfections, my children still dearly love the “M” that is ME!  Can you just imagine how much our Father in Heaven loves us, despite our shortcomings?  It’s overwhelming really.  On M-Day, and all the days in between, I am reminded that I don’t have to be the perfect mom to be worthy of His great love AND you don’t either.

We are more than what we do, how much we do, or even what we say.  We’re imperfect moms and that is certainly okay.  It’s fine if the to-do list doesn’t ever get complete…we just need to ask ourselves…“Did I love with all I had, from my head down to my feet?”

Happy M-Day...today and everyday!

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!

No comments:

Post a Comment