Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Treasure of Friendship

Photo Credit:  DodgertonSkillhause from morgueFile.com
True friendship is the rarest treasure,
Its value; something we can’t measure.
A loving friend is a God-send,
Who blesses us with needed heart-mend.
When the puzzle of life is scattered,
When our hopes and dreams are shattered,
A precious friend helps gather the pieces,
With love and joy that never ceases.
Friends are gifts, each one unique,
Wanting best for us; they always seek.
A friend will share delight and sorrows,
Praying for you and all your tomorrows.
A friend will wish for your success,
Even if you feel a mess.
Perfect, they are not, but that’s okay, you see,
Perfection is impossible; it’s how it’s meant to be.
Maybe we’ll be imperfect together,
Is that God’s plan for storms that we’ll weather?
A friend can look you in the eye and see your heart and soul,
Whatever they may find there; love is still their goal.
Friendship of the lasting kind is hard to explain,
A friend can bring you sunshine on days full of rain.
A friend will laugh with you, the type with joyful tears,
Their love for you grows stronger through the passing years.
A friend wants you to use your gifts and they believe in you,
Friendship will forgive and say, “I’m sorry” too.
A friend will care for you, despite weaknesses and sin,
Friends allow mistakes; fresh chances to begin.
True friends won’t judge your failures or leave you all alone,
Time stands still while spending hours on the phone.
Friends can share their deepest thoughts and be, with you, constructive,
But, friendship’s words that leave the tongue should never be destructive.
Friends encourage you with inspiring words of hope,
Their simple hug or touch will give you strength to cope.
True friends don’t come your way each and every day,
So, when you find one in this life, thank the Lord and pray.
God loves enough to send us this rare find,
As a glimpse of His own love for us…the deep and priceless kind.

"Greater love has no one than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13)

As I reflect a bit on friendship today, I can’t help but also share another poem that I wrote recently.  It’s a short children’s poem, but I think the message transcends childhood.  The Lord knows us, each bone in our body and each hair on our head.  He wants us to be ourselves.  After all, He is the one who knit us together in our mother’s womb.  I’m sure He wants us to know and appreciate that we are wonderfully made.  When we are free to be ourselves, our friendships will certainly be more dear and meaningful.

God loves us desperately.  It’s hard to fathom, really.  Sometimes I spend time trying to grasp it, but then it just slips from my fingers because it’s so difficult to understand the depth of that kind of love.  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).  With that being said, here’s my little poem for the kiddos:

WHAT I’D LIKE TO BE
Sometimes I like to think about what I’d like to be.
It just depends on how I feel; it changes daily, see.
On days I’m feeling extra brave and super duper strong,
I’d be a gator dentist, cleaning teeth so sharp and long.
When I’m feeling happy; I’d be a painter.  Why?
Because I’d paint the rainbows found high up in the sky.
On days I’m feeling scared and a teeny bit afraid,
I’d sew giant teddy bears, each one of them handmade.
When I feel adventuresome; I know just what I’d do.
I’d train ferocious animals and name one Cranky Poo.
But, then I stop and think about the best thing I can be,
It makes me smile to realize; the best to be is ME!

So…be yourself.  Be YOU…amazing, unique, wondrous, messy, beautifully imperfect…YOU! 

Let’s all try to BE the kind of friend we seek…incredible things can happen!  AND, if you already have a friend who loves you for you…grab on to them and never let them go!

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!

No comments:

Post a Comment