Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Pilot

Photo Credit:  DMedina from morgueFile.com
I read something from Mikey’s Funnies the other day that gave me a little chuckle.  It was so relatable and I just felt the need to pass it on to my precious Sunshines:

A lady, who was speeding, was pulled over to the side of the road by an officer.

She didn't have her seat belt on, so as soon as she stopped, she quickly slipped it on before the officer got to her window.

After talking to her about speeding, the officer said, "I see you are wearing your seat belt.  Do you believe in wearing it at all times?"

"Oh, yes I do, officer," she quickly replied.

"Well," asked the officer, "do you always loop it through your steering wheel?"

If you catch yourself laughing a tad too hard at this…maybe this WAS you?!  Oopsie - hee hee!

Speaking of steering wheels, I heard a great story in a sermon at church last weekend.  It served as a wonderful, much needed reminder for me.  It went something like this:

A pastor was taking a trip on a plane.  Everything was going smoothly until the pilot made an announcement, “Passengers, please fasten your seatbelts.  There is a storm up ahead and we might experience some turbulence.  Please don’t worry.  We’ll be out of the storm soon.”

The pastor noticed the passengers were getting a little fidgety.  And, once the turbulence began, most of the passengers were very uneasy.  That is, all of them, except for one little girl who was completely content and peaceful during all of this.  She never looked up and calmly continued to color in her coloring book.  The pastor even saw her smiling, as if absolutely nothing was going on around her.

As the plane shook a little harder, the pilot’s voice could be heard again, “Passengers, please don’t be afraid.  Everything will be okay.  We should be out of this storm in about three minutes.”  The passengers were restless in their seats and had death-grips on their handles.  All of them, except for the little girl, who continued to color…worry-free.

When the plane finally landed safely and all of the passengers were departing, the pastor walked by the seat where the little girl was sitting.  He just had to know how she remained so calm in the storm.  The pastor leaned down and asked her, “How is it that during the storm, you never looked worried or nervous?  You never squirmed in your seat.  Not even once!  I just have to know your secret.”

The little girl looked up from her coloring book and sweetly whispered to the pastor, “My father is the pilot.”  The pastor smiled at the little girl and continued to exit the plane.

Oh, how that story just resonated with me.  The little girl remained so calm in the storm because she knew her father would take care of her.  He said he would…and he did.

Is it possible for us to remain calm in the storms of this life?  I think it is possible.  But…only if we have the faith that our Father in Heaven will take care of our every need…great and small.

Countless times in the Bible, the Lord asks us to fear not.  He says, “Be not afraid” at least a bazillion times.  Well, if not a bazillion, it’s pretty darn close to that.

We were reminded in Sunday’s sermon that fear is not from God.  It’s from Satan.  The devil loves it when we’re scared.  He loves to see us afraid.  “For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7)

It really pushed my buttons to think that Satan actually reveled in and took great pleasure in seeing us miserable when we’re overcome with fear.  Grrrr.  It made me even more determined to fight fear…in all aspects of life.  It makes me want to put out my hand and say, “Scary thoughts…go away…you are NOT welcomed here!”  For the heck of it, you can even shake your pointer finger back and forth and say No, No, NO…mmmm, MMMM, mmmm, mmmm, MMMM, mmmm, MMMM!!

Wouldn’t it be so nice to have the serenity of that little girl who sat calmly while everything around her was in turmoil?  Wouldn’t it be great to have that sort of inner peace so that nothing can make us come unraveled?  Wouldn’t it be lovely to weather the storms with such complete trust?  Wouldn’t it be just wonderful?

Actually, I believe it’s very attainable.  Yep, I do.  However, we have a choice.  We get to decide if we will accept and welcome that type of peace into our lives.  It’s a gift there for the taking and it’s free.  It’s called faith.

I updated my facebook cover photo with this caption, “Faith is not believing that God can.  It’s knowing that He will.”

Ooohhh…don’t you just love that?!  I do too.  God surely doesn’t force us to have faith.  He lets us choose it.  When we have faith, it gives God an open door through which He can enter in and pour His blessings upon us.  Even if we open the door just a teeny tiny crack – hee hee!

I thought these sayings about faith were worth a share:
  1. As your faith is strengthened, you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control.  Things will flow as they will and you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit. (Emmanuel Teney)
  2. Courage is fear that has said its prayers. (Dorothy Bernard)
  3. Faith enables persons to be persons because it lets God be God. (Carter Lindberg)
  4. Faith is the bird who sings while it is still dark.

I guess I have to ask myself these questions, “Who is my pilot?  Who is in charge?  Who is my calm in the storm?”  The answer is God.  But, so many times, I think I try to inch my way into the pilot’s seat and tackle the journey on my own.  Who in their right mind would want to fly a plane without one iota of experience on how to fly it?  What AM I thinking?!  Lord, help me to remember to scootch my way right back out of that pilot’s seat!

On days when I doubt and fear, I know those are the days that I’m not placing my trust in the RIGHT pilot!  When He says, “Please don’t worry.  We’ll be out of the storm soon,” I need to remember to trust in His desire to love me and take care of me. 

As Father Bentil reminded us at Mass this morning, “Take courage; it is I.  Do not be afraid.”  (Matthew 14:27)

I’ll leave you with a question to ponder…“Who is your pilot?”

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!  We CAN do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment