Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wash Me

For most of my driving years, I’ve owned a black vehicle of some sort.  However, living down a gravel road doesn’t always allow the black to shine through.  For instance, when I had a tire changed a few months ago, the worker asked if I was the owner of the gray vehicle in the parking lot.  Hmmm….I said, “Nope, I don’t have a gray car.”  Then, he repeated the license plate number and sure enough, he was indeed talking about my car…my filthy, dirty, grimy car.

My not-so-black vehicle often has the words “wash me” lovingly displayed in the dust in several places, along with other artwork done by my sweet children.  I just hate to wash away their masterpieces, so I leave it there for all to see.  (hee hee!)  Honestly, I just have a hard time washing it when I know it’ll be mucky the next time I drive down that road.

I admit that I don’t often wash my vehicle, but I do love the way it shines when a cleansing rain comes down and washes away the dust.  On Monday, we had quite the windy rainstorm here in South Texas and it certainly did a great job at bringing back the shine!

There is a song about washing that’s been playing in my head for a few days now. 
If you haven’t heard it yet, check it out.  The video isn’t the best quality, but I think you’ll still enjoy it.  Here are the words to “Wash Me Away” by Brett Rush (2006):

Wash away all the sin that stains my life.
Wash away the thousand lies that fill my mind.
Cleanse me anew each day; my life, Lord re-define.
Wash me in Your river one more time.
Wash me away, Wash me away.
Wash me away, Wash me away,
Till only You remain.
Wash me away.
Wash away all the pride that's in my life. 
Wash away the wounded faith that blinds my eyes.
Cleanse me anew each day in grace and love divine.
Wash me in Your river one more time.
More of You and less of me; saturate my life.
Wash me in Your river one more time.

What I love the most about this song is that it reminds me that I need more of Him and less of me.  He must become greater and I must become less (John 3:30).

During this holiest of weeks, I think it’s the perfect time for us to ask the Lord to “wash me away, until only You remain.”  We can ask Him to wash away the things that prevent us from being like Him.  We can pray that He wash away our pride, jealousy, greed, selfishness, and sinful ways so we can be filled by Him.

I read a story from Mikey’s Funnies that reminded me about how much I desperately need the Lord.

A man dies and goes to heaven.  St. Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and says, "Here's how it works.  You need 100 points to make it into Heaven.  You tell me all the good things you've done and I give you a certain number of points for each item, depending on how good it was.  When you reach 100 points, you get in."

"Okay," the man says, "I was married to the same woman for 50 years and never cheated on her and loved her deeply."

"That's wonderful," says St. Peter, "that's worth two points."

"Two points!?" he says. "Well, I attended church all my life and supported its ministry with my tithe and service."

"Terrific!" says St. Peter, "that’s certainly worth a point."

"One point!?  I started a soup kitchen in my city and worked in a shelter for homeless veterans."

"Fantastic, that’s good for two more points," he says.

"Two points!?”  Exasperated, the man cries, "At this rate, the only way I'll get into heaven is by the grace of God."

"Bingo! 100 points!  Come on in!"

I thought this little story was a nice reminder to thank God for His mercy and grace.  We cannot do it without Him.  This life is short.  Heaven is forever.  I’m also reminded of His love for me when I listen to the Sidewalk Prophets’ song, “You Love Me Anyway.”  The verses that always get to me are:

“I am the thorn in Your crown,
But You love me anyway.
I am the sweat from Your brow,
But You love me anyway.
I am the nail in Your wrist,
But You love me anyway.
I am Judas’ kiss,
But You love me anyway.”

How quickly do we write people off when they do us wrong?  How often do we refuse to forgive?  Thank you, Lord, for not holding grudges against us like we oftentimes do toward others.  I’m humbled to think that I’ve been the thorn, the sweat, the nail, and Judas’ kiss and He still…loves me.

As we get closer and closer to Good Friday, I can’t help but think that Jesus died for us, knowing that some of us might never love Him back.  I can’t imagine how heavy that cross was…the physical cross and the cross of knowing that. 

Each one of us has a cross to bear…our own, unique cross that others may or may not know about or even see.  Will we carry that cross FOR Him and WITH Him?  I pray for the grace every single day.  “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."  (Luke 9:23)

I found a few inspirational quotes yesterday on a Facebook page called, “Less of Me and More of You, God.”

“If we feel hurt and offended when someone fails us, just imagine how God must feel when we continue to do the things He asks us not to do, after He gave his ONLY Son for us.”

“God has a plan for our life.  It doesn't matter what we’ve done or the mistakes we’ve made.  He doesn't expect us to be perfect.  He just wants us to have a willing heart.  He wants us to be willing to live according to His Word.  Some say that God loves us if we change.  The Gospel says that God's LOVE changes us.  Come as you are!”

“The devil will do whatever he has to do to make us turn away from God.  He will try to put us down.  He will try to crush our dreams.  He will make us feel worthless, unforgiven, hopeless, lost, confused and unloved.  But, that's when we have to remember our identity in Jesus Christ.  According to God's Word (Colossians 3:12) - We are His chosen people, holy, and dearly loved!  We mustn’t forget who we truly are.  We can’t let the lies of the devil get to us.”

I found many of these reminders helpful as I ask God to wash me away during this Holy Week.  Empty me of ME, Lord, so I can be filled with YOU.  A cleansing way to start is the wonderful sacrament of Reconciliation...a time to bathe in God’s forgiveness and mercy.

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines, and have a blessed Easter!

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME.......nothing else to say.....just let the words flow into our hearts to wash away all the things that keep us separated from our loving God.

    ReplyDelete