Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mom's Day

Photo Credit:  Annika from morgueFile.com
Don’t worry!  Don’t worry!  You haven’t missed it.  Mother’s Day isn’t until May.  This post is called, “Mom’s Day” because it’s MY mom’s special day.  It’s possibly even more important than Mother’s Day because if it weren’t for this day, she wouldn’t be here; I wouldn’t be here; and neither would my precious children, as a matter of fact.  It’s my mom’s birthday (March 18th) and I wrote a little poem for the occasion:

THE WOMAN I AM TODAY
by Heather Spears Kallus
Mom, I thank the Lord for the day of your birth,
An angel you are, sent down to earth.
I’m the woman I am because of your love,
And because I was raised with help from above.
Thank you for guiding me gently with care,
For teaching me always that love is to share.
Holding me tightly when scared as a child,
And calming my fears when thoughts ran so wild.
Long nights spent rocking me soundly to sleep,
Because I was sick and couldn’t count sheep.
For helping with homework, my projects, and such,
For giving me hope when worries were much.
Thank you for driving me limitless miles,
Trips with the fam - the memories and smiles.
Our house was a home - can’t thank you enough,
For loving on days that surely were rough.
Parties for birthdays or just because,
Homemade cookies that were the best that there was.
My artwork and drawings, you proudly displayed,
You even praised scribbles - I wasn’t dismayed.
For endless forgiveness - mistakes I did make,
Bad choices were plenty, for goodness sake.
Your encouraging words and life-giving deeds,
All through the years you were planting good seeds.
For staying up late, hearing stories I’d share,
No matter what time, you’d always be there.
You were my first love - my very first friend,
My broken hearts, you knew how to mend.
For unselfishly giving year after year,
Ready to comfort and dry a new tear.
I know it was not always easy to mother,
When bro and I constantly picked on each other.
Thank you for reading me books upon books,
You could discipline me with just one of your “looks.”
Countless times that you put my needs before yours,
For teaching with prayer that God opens new doors.
Thank you for all that you gave up for me,
As I grow older, it’s clear to see.
The love you gave along the way,
Made me the woman I am today.

A final thought I’d like to share for a birthday wish is a short excerpt from one of Bob Perks’ writings called, “I Wish You Enough:”

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

Happy, Happy Birthday, Mom!  I love you to infinity and back and…I wish you enough.

Welcome back from Spring Break, Sunshines!  Have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Every word, oh so true.......a beautiful tribute to an incredible lady!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sis.....love you lots and lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! And what an amazing sister you are to her! ;-)

      Delete