Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Words of Gold

Photo Credit:  Alvimann from morgueFile.com
As we continue on into this new year, I came across a couple of golden reminders that I’d like to share with you.  The first is a story from Mikey’s Funnies:

There once was a rich man who was near death.  He was very grieved because he had worked so hard for his money and he wanted to be able to take it with him to heaven.  So he began to pray that he might be able to take some of his wealth with him.

An angel hears his plea and appears to him, "Sorry, but you can't take your wealth with you."

The man implores the angel to speak to God to see if He might bend the rules.

The man continues to pray that his wealth could follow him.  The angel reappears and informs the man that God has decided to allow him to take one suitcase with him.  Overjoyed, the man gathers his largest suitcase and fills it with pure gold bars and places it beside his bed.

Soon afterward the man dies and shows up at the Gates of Heaven to greet St. Peter.  Seeing the suitcase Peter says, "Hold on, you can't bring that in here!"

But the man explains to him that he has permission and asks him to verify his story with the Lord.  Sure enough, Peter checks and comes back saying, "You're right.  You are allowed one carry-on bag, but I'm supposed to check its contents before letting it through."

Peter opens the suitcase to inspect the worldly items that the man found too precious to leave behind and exclaims, "You brought pavement?!?!"

“The twelve gates were made of pearls – each gate from a single pearl!  And the main street was pure, transparent gold, like glass.”  (Revelation 21:21)

I never thought about it quite that way, but it’s a great reminder to reflect on what we treasure most.  It’s obvious from the story’s message that there’s nothing material on this earth – not even bars of pure gold - that we can stockpile that will be worth anything in Heaven.

Another jewel I came across is a poem sent to me by my Uncle Erol called, “God’s Boxes.”  I’m not sure who the original author is, but it’s also worth sharing.

I have in my hands two boxes,
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, “Put all your sorrows in the black box,
And all your joys in the gold.”
I heeded His words, and in the two boxes,
Both my joys and sorrows I’d store.
The gold became heavier each day,
While the black was as light as before.
With curiosity, I opened the black,
I wanted to find out why.
And I saw in the base of the box, a hole,
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.
I showed the hole to God and mused,
”Don’t know where my sorrows could be!”
He smiled a gentle smile and said,
”My child, they're all here with me.”
I asked God why He gave me the boxes,
Why the gold and the black with the hole?
”My child, the gold is for counting blessings,
The black is for letting go.”

Then, continuing on with the “gold” theme, there’s always the Golden Rule that we learned as a child:  Treat others the way that you would like to be treated.  Of course, it is SO easy to say, yet SO hard to do.  But, it would fit quite nicely with resolution #1 in my New Year’s post, “Let It Shine.”

There are many gems of wisdom to reflect on as we kick off 2014 - Do we share words of gold with others?  What do we believe and why?  Do we make others stop and ask, “What is the source of their joy?”

I’ll leave you with an incredible little saying that I found.  When you read it top to bottom, it is from a non-believing viewpoint.  When you read the same words from bottom to top, it is from a believing point of view.  I thought it was remarkable.  You might find it that way too (please excuse the lack of punctuation…just passing it on the way I found it):

I will live my life according to these beliefs
God does not exist
It is just foolish to think
That there is a God with a cosmic plan
That an all-powerful God brings redemption and healing to the pain and suffering in the world
Is a comforting thought, however
It
is only wishful thinking
People can do as they please without eternal consequences
The idea that
I am deserving of Hell
Because of sin
Is a lie meant to make me a slave to those in power
“The more you have, the happier you will be”
Our existence has no grand meaning or purpose
In a world with no God
There is freedom to be who I want to be
But with God
Everything is fine
It is ridiculous to think
I am lost and in need of saving

Finally, here are five things I found on facebook that are certainly worth remembering in 2014:

Golden reminder #1 (BE POSITIVE):  An optimistic person is someone who thinks that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster.  It’s more like a cha-cha.
Golden reminder #2 (BE LOVING & KIND):  Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.  Be kind.  Always.
Golden reminder #3 (BE THANKFUL):  Don’t think of the things you didn’t get after praying.  Think of the countless blessings God gave you without asking.
Golden reminder #4 (TRUST GOD):  No matter what you face in life, never let go of God’s hand.
Golden reminder #5 (FORGIVE):  The truth is, people are the way they are for a reason.  If we would take time to know their stories, we would be much more forgiving.

Let’s look for the gold in others, not in a bank.  And, when we speak, let’s make sure they are words of gold.  Certainly that will help us in our journey toward the streets of gold?  Well, it surely won’t hurt anyhow!  

Have a wonderful week, Sunshines!

No comments:

Post a Comment