Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Snorin' Chorus


Photo Credit:  sideshowmom at morgueFile.com
I hope you all had an enjoyable Labor Day weekend with your families and friends!  Now, it’s back to reality.  I mean it this time!  That was such a tease, wasn’t it?  Get the kids off to school for a week, try to get back into some sort of routine, and then BAM - it’s time to kick back into summer mode for a long three day weekend!  Gotta love it!

What did we do?  Well, we jam-packed as many things as we could into this last official weekend of “summertime fun.”  We headed to Austin on Saturday to hang out with Aunt Kerri at Austin’s Park & Pizza.  The kids had a blast!  There were go-karts, bumper boats, dizzy tea cups, rock walls, arcade games, a bouncy house, and unlimited pizza, pasta and salad.  Unfortunately, we cut into their profit that day when our party of six stayed from lunch until supper and ate twice – hee hee!

After that, we managed to squeeze in a trip to the swimming pool and still had room in our bellies for Kerri’s homemade ice cream (even though there wasn’t enough room for salad – you know how it is!).  On Sunday morning, we went to Mass together, got the kiddos to take a rare afternoon nap, and then headed to Kyle for a family wedding. 

It was a beautiful wedding.  And, since the kids were in a sugar coma because of the “candy bar” at the reception, my husband and I were able to dance without, uhem, anyone hanging on our legs or wanting to be carried.  So, yes – we danced like no one was watchin’.  Oh yes…we did – just ask my Uncle Greg.  “Shot through the heart and you’re to blame, darling, you give love a bad name”…yada yada….oh yes, Bon Jovi, we danced!  Woo-hoo!

In addition to bottomless candy bowls, the kiddos entertained themselves by mixing together bubbles, rose petals, and water.  We just had to remember that the pink potion they kept offering us was not fit for human consumption.  After five dances in a row, one can get thirsty and desperate and it’s easy to forget.

Of course, amidst all of the fun, I did get a little sentimental like I always do.  I know in my heart that in what will seem like the blink of an eye, my children will be the ones walking down that aisle – sniff, sniff.

So, after we said our goodbyes, it was time to hit the road.  I offered to drive home since I’m the night owl by nature.  And, by golly, it wasn’t fifteen minutes before I heard the snorin’ chorus and it was in loud, surround sound.  I giggled and was glad that their nasal tunes would help keep me awake on the ride home.  Of course, since I have little to no sense of direction, my husband slept with one eye open.  He didn’t trust me (and rightfully so when it comes to directions).

I had some time to think during my late night drive – no distractions, no interruptions, and no “Mommy, I need this or that.”  I reminisced about when I was that snoring child in the back seat.  I remembered how content I was – how trusting.  I knew that my parents would get us home safely – every single time.  I had no doubts – not even one.  I knew that if I just closed my eyes, my mom or dad would navigate the roads and get us to where we needed to be.  I loved that feeling.  I was comfy.  I was cozy.  I was at ease.   I felt secure and relaxed.

But now, as a parent, it seems harder and harder to have that feeling – that harmonious contentment of the snorin’ chorus.  Oftentimes, I feel more like my husband sleeping with one eye open.  Why can’t we let God drive?  Why can’t we just close our eyes and let Him drive?  It’s so hard because many of us like control – WE want the wheel.  But, the more and more I think about it, I would much rather have God steer for me.

And, speaking of letting God completely navigate your life, I started a wonderful book last night called, “Kisses from Katie.”  Katie Davis shares the story of how she let Jesus take the wheel, which led her on a journey of radical love down the red dirt roads of Uganda, Africa.  Why in the world would an 18-year-old homecoming queen and senior class president at the top of her class forgo college, leave home, lose all but a handful of her friends, and break up with the love of her life?  I guess I’ll soon find out.  I’ve only read the foreword and introduction and I am thirsting for more.

Here is just a tiny taste of what I’ve read so far:

“I thought that I wanted to go to college with my high school boyfriend, get married, have a successful career and children, settle into a nice house down the road from my parents, and live happily ever after.  Today I am a single woman raising a houseful of girls and trying to teach others the love of Jesus in a land that is a far cry from my hometown and my culture.  This is not a life that I dreamed up on my own or even knew I desired.  I am watching God work, and as I ‘delight myself in the Lord’ by doing what He asks of me and by saying yes to the needs He places in front of me, He is changing the desires of my heart and aligning them with the desires of His.”

“It is simple in that each and every one of us was ultimately created to do the same thing.  It will not look the same.  It may take place in a foreign land or it may take place in your backyard, but I believe that we were created to change the world for someone.  To serve someone.  To love someone the way Christ first loved us, to spread His light.”

“I am writing {this book} on the chance that a glimpse into the life of my family and me, full of my stupidity and God’s grace, will remind you of this living, loving Christ, and what it means to serve Him.  I am writing with the hope that as you cry and laugh with my family you will be encouraged that God still uses flawed human beings to change the world.  And if He can use me, He can use you.”

Oh, I just can’t wait to read more, more, more!

So, who’s with me?  Who wants to be a part of the snorin’ chorus?  Who else wants the heavenly contentment of letting God drive?  Who else wants to close their eyes and really and truly give Him the wheel?

P.S.  Before I go, I wanted to share the one last wonderful thing we did on Labor Day - we celebrated my Aunt Edie’s, um, 29th birthday…AGAIN.  I absolutely LOVE family get-togethers and I dearly love my aunt.  I love that she sits by her computer just waiting for my weekly Sips of Sunshine.  I love her example of faith, sacrifice, and generosity.  I love her for what she teaches others – through both her words and her actions.  I love her inner and outer beauty.  I love that she wants to be in the snorin’ chorus too.  Happy Birthday to YOU!

2 comments:

  1. What great and fun adventures to "officially" close the summer of 2012 and loaded with wonderful memories and after reading your brief excerpt from "Kisses from Katie", I am eager to re-read this fabulous book.

    P.S. I am so humbled by your kind and generous words and I am truly thankful for the life I am living and getting the chance to celebrate another year.......again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to YOU, podgehodge! ;-) Love you to forever and back...

      Delete