Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

North, South, East...What?

I admit it.  I confess.  I have no sense of direction.  None.  My husband can vouch for it.  Poor thing, he just doesn’t get that I don’t “get it.”  I have fond memories of my road trips to College Station – the ones taken before my college semester even started.  Before the hustle and bustle began, I would drag my husband (then boyfriend) around campus mapping out my classes so I wouldn’t get lost.  (Such a trooper, that guy!)

The campus seemed like a huge, crazy maze to me.  I felt like a lab rat trying to find my way through to the cheese.  Hmmmm….now there’s a thought - if there would have been a big bowl of LUCKY CHARMS waiting at each destination; I’m thinking I would have had a MUCH easier time – hee hee!  Anyhoo - I even went so far as to remember which direction I entered a door from so that I’d remember which way to turn when I came back out.  (I know, I know….REALLY?!  But, the answer is YES…really.)

And, just the other day, a delivery guy was trying to find his way to my son’s school with some playground equipment that our PTO purchased.  He said he would call me back for directions when he got closer.  GASP!  (my heart races a little)  I actually just went ahead and took the liberty to inform him that I would be the LAST person on earth he’d want to call for directions.  I gave him the school’s phone number and saved him so much time and gas by just being brutally honest.

Speaking of directions, I also think it’s quite hilarious to watch the “Mommy Headbob.”  We’ve all seen it and in fact, we’ve probably BEEN that mom.  We take our kids to the park and meet up with another mom and her kids and then we try to carry on a conversation AND watch our children…all at the same time.  We nod up and down to indicate that we are kinda listening to the other mom and then we look left and right to try to locate our kid (Is she in the tunnel?  Is he on top of the climbing rock?  On the swings?  Eating a bug perhaps?)  It’s all sounding strangely familiar, isn’t it?

And since we’re talking park talk, I also think it’s funny that we insist on wiping our kids’ hands with anti-bacterial wipes before they eat a snack there.  Because, this hygienic little habit is done right after they’ve already licked their hands and sucked on a few rocks.  Oh well, I vow to still pull out the ole wipes, but I’ll just giggle when I do.

Most things come with directions (well, NOT kids).  But, sometimes it’s fun to think outside the direction box.  My Uncle Erol sent me a nifty little e-mail about items being used for things other than their intended use.  I haven’t tried these, but they sound super cool!  For instance:

1)  If you place a wooden spoon over a pot of boiling water, it won’t bubble over.
2)  Stuffing a dryer sheet in your back pocket will repel mosquitoes.
3)  If you place wet newspapers under the mulch around your plants, the weeds won’t grow through.
4)  Use hair conditioner as a shaving cream – it works just as well.
5)  If looking for an earring or small object, place panty hose over the end of the vacuum and start vacuuming.

My mom also sent me an uplifting e-mail the other day about directions (well, changing direction, but close).  I will share it here:

“Just as we can turn a different direction when we walk, we can change the direction of our thinking if we wish.  If we are feeling tired, sad, or disappointed and want to feel energized, we need only change our thoughts.
We can think about what brings us joy, what sparks our creativity and what excites us about being alive.  We can consider what a positive difference we make
as we lend a hand or take better care of ourselves. 
We can take action and we feel enthusiasm, a zest for life.
A simple shift in our thinking makes all the difference.  Enthusiasm is contagious.  Others around us feel our positive energy.  We feel the spirit of God
moving through us as we do mighty works!”
Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit – serve the Lord.  Romans 12:11

With directions, there are basically three ways to go about them.  We can follow them and stay on course.  We can take a wrong turn and lose our way.  And, we can just be plain lost.

The other day, my five-year old daughter lost her way for just a bit.  Her sister was screaming and hollering at the top of her lungs and she said, “Why don’t we just sell her?  There would be tons of people who would want her.”  Oh my goodness.  I said, “Honey, we all lose our way.  We love her and we would NEVER sell her.”  (There are times when I’d like to lock all three kids out of the house for a few minutes, but we’d NEVER sell….NEVER.)

During the times in which we feel completely lost (and there WILL be times), I like to remember a few things that tie into today’s vernacular.  Not only does God “like” us – He loves us.  He loves us for who we are and always accepts us.  I wouldn’t be surprised if He’s also “pinned” a picture of each and every one of us on His master billboard.  He can count all the hairs on our head – certainly He has a favorite photo of us.

And, if you’re reading this during the day, take a moment to be quiet.  Be still.  (These are impossible requests to ask of a mom, I know, but try!)  Listen to the birds outside.  There’s a great chance they’re chirping.  I’d like to think that every time I hear a bird chirp, God is “tweeting” about us, too. 

He is crazy about us.  He truly is.  Here’s a short assignment for you.  Fill in the blank with your name and say this out loud:  (Oh, just do it, come on…)

(INSERT YOUR NAME HERE), God is absolutely crazy about you.  Great!  You CAN follow directions!  I knew you could do it.  Even I followed these without too much trouble myself.  However, if you see me on the highway, it’s a great possibility that I have NO idea where I’m going!  Please just smile and wave at me.

Finally, I do hope that there are VERY CLEAR directions to the Pearly Gates (in addition to the Ten Commandments, that is).  I mean, I need SIGNS – BIG ONES!  Come on, Lord, you KNOW me!  Could you possibly send a map with my angel as well?  Thanks!  Have a great day, Sunshines!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I posted, but apparantly not :( Anyway, Heather I can totally relate to directions, I have to print both ways, to and back home because I seem to misread how to get back!:) Also your Uncle is correct about the newspapers, I have done it for years and it does work! Way better and cheaper than buying that weed screen or whatever it is. So that tip from your Uncle will help save people money, because I have tried both and the newspaper works way better! Also I hope that if I am lucky enough to enter heaven, an Angel will just come and pick me up without signs or I, like you, would be walking around like forever! Thanks again Heather for providing us with inspiring messages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jacki! Thanks so much for reading and I'm thrilled to know that I'm not the only one without a lick of sense...of direction! I ALWAYS print directions from destination back home, too. I don't know how many little maps my poor husband has drawn me over the years! He soooo knows I would get lost without them!! hee hee

      Delete